Monday, February 4, 2008

Notes from the Wii kend and the Superbowl





Yes, I do know how to properly spell weekend. Despite my lack of interest in technology, I am familiar with the Nintendo Wii, a new, interactive gaming system. Growing up I really wanted an Atari, however Nintendo introduced an awesome gaming system that trumped the old Atari. New gaming systems like Super Nintendo, Sega, Xbox, and Play station emerged, however for some unknown reason; I never followed up with the newest gaming system. As a result the Nintendo was the first and last gaming system I ever got.

In college I became addicted to computer games like a demo version of Grand Theft Auto and Snood. I also spent countless hours downloading songs from Napster (man do I miss a free napster download!). From time to time I would play Madden football, but as a whole I never really got into video games. So why am I talking about these old gaming systems and the Wii?

Yesterday was my first experience with the Wii. It was fun, although golf was a little boring. I was up for trying more games and I got my chance to play tennis. In an effort to do my Pete Sampras impression I decided to do an overhand jump serve. In my attempt, I lost track of where I was and swung, Pete Sampras style at the ball. However instead of hitting the tennis ball, I hit an overhead lamp, shattering the glass protecting the light bulb! What a guest I am!!!. Of course I cut my finger in the process. Thankfully a hospital visit was not necessary, but I certainly was embarrassed. The moral of this story is that there really should be some warning regarding this gaming system (or I lack common sense).

In other news from the weekend I, like 97 million other people, watched the Super Bowl. I do hate the Patriots, and as you can see I am not a big Giants fan either so I was cheering for a tie. Knowing that this truly is not possible, I had to find some positives of this predicament. I am happy to see that the Patriots did not have the perfect season. Arrogance does get you in trouble, but truthfully the Giants were the better team.

Despite this huge upset of the game, I was truly disappointed with the game. The game seemed to take forever and was pretty uneventful until the fourth quarter. The commercials were also uneventful. There was not one "landmark" commercial and lacked any "pizzazz". Truthfully aside from Coke and Pepsi I do not know who advertised for the game. That is a major problem considering that a Super Bowl commercial cost $2.7 million for a 30 second spot. You can check the USA Today's "Adometer", but here are my picks.

My top 5 (in no particular order)

Coke's Runaway Float - maybe I'm a sucker for balloons because I was behind Clifford the Big Red Dog when I was a high school student marching in the Macy's Day parade.

Audi's "G-dfather car commercial" - The car looked really cool, but it doesn't have the same impression as a dead horse in the bed.

Budweiser's "firebreath" - Although it was somewhat predictable, it was mildly entertaining. That said I remembered whose commercial it was.

Coke's "James Carville" - I'm not exactly Romeo, but neither is James Carville. He has a distinct look and since this is an election year having a feud between donkeys and elephants is somewhat entertaining.

The "head bob" commercial - Thought it was funny, but I don't know what company it was for. $2.7 and I don't remember what company ran the ad.

What ever happened to the Bud classics like Cedric the entertainer, Bud Bowl or others like Mean Joe's coke commercial or godaddy.com?

1 comment:

Sean said...

"The moral of this story is that there really should be some warning regarding this gaming system (or I lack common sense)."

Hey dummy...when you first turn on the Wii, there's a message saying not to be around other items. Plus, I don't recall Sampras every having a jump serve.

The Audi car commercial with the frunt of the car in the bed was terrible.